Vetiver, a member of the grass family, is grown for many reasons. Unlike other grasses, the root system of Vetiver grows down, making it ideal for helping to prevent erosion and providing soil stabilization. Vetiver has a rich, exotic, complex aroma that is used extensively in perfumes.
Due to Vetiver’s calming and grounding aroma, it’s an ideal oil to use in massage therapy. It can also be rubbed on the feet before bedtime to prepare for a restful night’s sleep.
If you have school-aged children that struggle with ADHD or issues staying focused, using Vetiver essential oil is a great way to help children stay focused rather than using a pharmaceutical drug.
Uses of Vetiver Essential Oil:
Vetiver is an essential oil that’s been extracted from the root of the Vetiver plant. It can be used directly on the skin, you can diffuse it into the air, and you can ingest it. It’s frequently used in alcoholic beverages for flavoring.
Health Benefits of Vetiver Essential Oil:
Vetiver essential oil can be applied to the skin for relieving stress, emotional trauma, arthritis, and the effects of stings and burns.
You might find it surprising to know it’s also used to treat lice and as an insect repellent. Inhaling Vetiver aromatically can be helpful for nervousness, insomnia, and joint and muscle pain. Pregnant women and lactating mothers should not use this oil. If you suffer from allergies you should use Vetiver with precaution.
How To Make Vetiver for Topical Application:
⅓ cup aloe vera gel (do not use juice or aloe from a plant as the cream won’t whip properly)
2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
2 tablespoons jojoba oil
½ tablespoon beeswax
10 drops Vetiver oil
5 drops Lavender oil
- In a medium saucepan, gently heat the almond and jojoba oils with the beeswax.
- Once melted, transfer your mixture to a deep mixing bowl. Leave to cool for an hour or until the mixture reaches room temperature.
- Slowly add the aloe vera gel and Vetiver and Lavender oil as you blend the mixture with a hand blender.
- Continue adding aloe until you have reached your desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container and apply it to your skin liberally.